Monday, November 17, 2008

I am a HORRIBLE Mommy!

So tonight was a first for me. As many of you know I am 23 weeks pregnant and I have NEVER thrown up during either of my pregnancies ~ thank you Jesus!

Well, I was in our office in the front of our home earlier and I hear the HOTY yell, "Laura, help". I immediately knew something was wrong, so I ran down the hall to find him holding the "Itty Bitty" and she had thrown up all over his face, down his shirt, on his mouth and all over the floor. Let me just tell you, I can do anything...but I can NOT do throw up. Of course I had to get Emma out of his arms, so I grabbed her reassuring her it was okay as she was continuing to puke. I got her to the kitchen sink and sat her on the side, where her clothes were covered in BARF! She nearly fell over into the sink because I was just so confused about what to do. Guess what happens next? I start puking in the sink and she is still throwing up. Honestly, I did not know what to do. I tried to start rinsing her off, but I could not stop myself from being sick. I was praying to the Lord the entire time out loud to please just help me and silently asking him for strength. I do not know how the HOTY held it together, but he did.

I decided to pick Emma up and take off running to our master bath. When we get there, she continued to throw up on the floor and I am throwing up in the bathroom sink. Oh Lord, please just help us, is all I kept saying. The HOTY comes in and I hear him laughing, but then he is quickly disgusted when he realizes I have thrown up all over the floor and in the sink. I got Emma stripped down and she proceeds to stand there and pee-pee all over the floor. I finally got myself all stripped down and in the tub where Emma continues to get sick. Oh my, why can't I just get control of myself is what I am thinking. So then, Emma and I take turns puking in the bucket that we normally rinse her hair out with.

Needless to say, it was CRAZY in our house tonight and I don't know why. We have no clue why she got so sick, except that she had been coughing. I honestly think I am about to get sick again, just typing about it. The poor HOTY had to clean all of this up.

When he finally got things settled he came in the bathroom where Emma and I were playing in the tub and I said, "oh babe, I just can't deal with that". He replied, "yes, I know". I then told him that is why God gave us you ~ poor thing. I felt so bad, but I did not know what to do and that has NEVER happened to us before. There was one point when I said, "call your Mom and get her to come help us". My poor husband just said, "for what" and did I mention my MIL lives 30 minutes away?

All of this to tell you I feel horrible, like a really bad Mommy. I have never felt like this, but I really just wished I had it in me to clean it all up and comfort my daughter at the same time without getting sick or upset about it. Please pray for me and I am serious, I really need to be able to deal with this type of thing. What would I have done if the HOTY had not been here? I felt so sorry for Emma, she was so afraid and I know it made it worse when I started doing it too. Please Please Please pray for me. I never want to not be able to 100% completly take care of and comfort my children when they are sick. I feel so bad!

Has this ever happened to any of you? Do any of you have any advice for me or know of something I can do to get over this? Please help, I am open for any and all suggestions.


9 comments:

The Pococks said...

Hi Laura!

This is Meleah, Marla and Dwain's sister-in-law. I just read this and I know this is awful, but the way you wrote this I was in tears I was laughing so hard. I am the EXACT same way!! When Mavery was little she threw up all in her crib and as I was getting her out, trying so hard to hold my breath, I started getting sick right there with her, it was HORRIBLE! I literally had no idea what to do. But, almost 9 years later and I can honestly say, I am over it. This will happen, many, MANY more times and I promise you will get control and not get sick right along with her or the new little one. I'm not saying it will be soon, but it will eventually happen.:) I am so sorry this happened to you! Thank God for wonderful husbands, right?! Hope you all feel better soon!

Jenn said...

I came across your blog from Kelly's a few months ago and I had to post a comment to tell you that you are NOT a horrible Mommy. I must apologize first because I too am in tears after reading what you wrote. Not only because the way you wrote it out, but because I can so relate with you. I do not do throw up either! The same thing happens to me. By the grace of God my wonderful hubs is usually always home when one of our girls get sick. When I was 7 months pregnant I did the same thing as you and was sick right along with my 2 year old. Only my hubs was at my in-laws for Christmas and I had stayed home with our fevering daughter. When she saw me gagging and throwing up too she reached up to me and started patting and comforting me. It was precious. They are now 9 and 6 and it has gotten better and my stomach has gotten stronger.....as long as I can cover my nose quick enough and not smell it!! I will say a prayer for you!

Jennifer said...

I just laughed so loud and so hard! I'm praying Brody is still asleep!! Bless your sweet heart!

Rebecca Jo said...

I know it wasn't funny - but I had to laugh envisioning you & your daughter battling out to get in the bucket or sink first...

and yes - I am a chain puker too - hear it, see it, smell it - I'm puking right along with you!!! God gives those "talents" to others that can deal with it.... dont feel bad!

Katie said...

Hi, there! I just came over from Kelly's blog (Kelly's Korner).

First of all, can I please apologize and ask your forgiveness?

I seriously laughed so hard at this post that I couldn't breathe at one point, and I had tears rolling down my face. I just want to go back and read it again. Calling the mother to come...that was fabulous!

Now, really, I'm so sorry that you don't do throw-up. I wish I could help you. I'm an ICU nurse and I've had just about everything (hmm, yeah everything, I think) on me at one point or another. Yuck, I know. I agree. I hope all of y'all's yuckies are out of the way! Sounds like you have a keeper husband!

MiMi said...

You are absolutely NOT a horrible mother! Thank goodness there is usually one person in every marriage that is able to be on the "clean up crew" when something like this happens! I felt so bad for you as I read this post. I sure hope that you are both feeling better.

Don't feel bad -- I started gagging this morning trying to clean "poop" off of my cat's behind after he came out of the litterbox. I had to get "W" to do it because I couldn't stop gagging! LOL

BTW...Thank you for putting my husband on your prayer list as he continues in his job search.

Miz Jean said...

Oh no no no! How horrible! Don't beat yourself up. Any bodily fluids of any kind can be easily upsetting during pregnancy. Thank goodness you didn't all get food poisoning or something like that.

I have a friend who has a son who often pukes if he coughs too hard. So its probably a pretty normal little-kid-occurrence!

Jennifer said...

The car pajamas are from Target. Thanks for the reminder about Walmart! If it's anything like our first trip with Brody, I will not even end up using half the things I bring for him!:) The good news is we are staying in a condo,so there will be a washer and dryer if needed as well!

Anonymous said...

You are so not a bad mom! I am six weeks pregnant and my two year old ate to much the other day and SPIT UP not even throw up and I gagged cleaning it up. I swear my stomach hurt for hours after that. You have such a wonderful family and your little boy with fill your heart completley. My husband and son are the biggest loves of my life.