Thursday, September 29, 2011

Love + Love = Love

This week I had a conversation with my Principal and something he said to me stuck out in my mind and I have thought about it non stop.  We were talking about kids, parents, about life and being a Mommy. 


While we were talking he said, "Laura, people love the way they were loved as a child."  I can not get the thought out of mind.

Of course it is not the first time I have been made aware of this, studied the thought or done huge amounts of research on the topic.   After all, I am a certified school counselor, licensed professional counselor and hold a masters degree in counseling.  I know this, but I have found myself clinging to those 10 words this week.


In our house we love hard, we hug alot, we kiss a ton, we freely express intimate moments with one another and encourage our children to be open about their feelings. I love you is a word that flies around our home often & our kids know they are unconditionally loved.   Emma and Gavin are LOVERS to the point it is annoying to their friends, because they want to hug, hold hands & kiss everyone they come in contact with and their friends are not always accepting of their affection.

Perhaps I am clinging to these words because I can do better.  I know that I am a work in progress and there are days I fail miserably at loving the way God loves me.  Maybe I can love more, love one on one, love with more time, love through a story, love through my words, love through my touch,  love by example and love through my actions. 

Not sure what is stirring inside of me, but I do know that I want people to look at my babies when they are adults and think... "Laura, your kids are an amazing example of what it means to love the way they were loved as a child!"

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love those words. Thanks for sharing them. I hope that I love my kids to the fullest. I love them to pieces, I know that, and I sure hope they feel it. I'd say they do. :) Thanks for this post.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it! :) I'm overwhelmed when I think about how unconditionally we are loved by our Father...it's truly AMAZING love. :) You are such a kind and loving mother and I love the way you & Curtis love on your babies and that every minute of everyday they are secure in themselves, their place in your family and in this world. Being loved unconditionally forever changes you and your kids have learned it at such an early age...they will no doubt make a huge impact on their world! <3