Tuesday, January 22, 2013

a SUPER special day

Big sister spent yesterday away from home, so me and little man went out on a few fun adventures.
 
 
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. 

~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.~

 
Yesterday was an incredible day and I absolutely loved spending my entire day with this little boy that makes life so much fun.
 
 
I laughed hysterically and often times just watched him, in awe of his imagination as we navigated through trails, picked up sticks, threw rocks in the water, morphed into superheros, chased squirrels, climbed trees, hunted for pine cones and looked in every hole we found along the way.
 
 
No doubt, he is ALL boy.  He picked this stick up along our hike and said, "don't worry Mom, I will protect us."  Look at the shape of this tree trunk we found that has recently been cut down, he thought it was the coolest thing ever.
 
 
There were times he was a little too brave for me and your looking at one.  He would walk up to these hollowed out trees and just start digging around with a stick or his hands.  Helloooooooo Gavin, there could be a snake in there.
 
  
 
This boy was determined to climb a tree and I helped him get started, he made it up about 4 feet and held on for dear life. 
 
  
 
After our nature walk we watched some men catch about 200 fish in a casting net behind our house, we call it a ditch they call it a fishing hole. They were nice enough to walk up the bank of the canal ditch and show Gavin their bucket of fish.  Pretty sure they were over there limit since they brought in about 30 fish with every cast, it sure was fun to watch. 
 
We decided to head to the lakes in the front of our neighborhood and feed the ducks after watching the fishermen for about a half hour.  Gavin enjoyed feeding the ducks and it was a "one for me, one for the ducks" kind of day.  I love this picture of him eating the bread.
 
 
We can never go to the lake without him chasing a duck in hopes of catching one.  He got pretty close to this one and it turned around ready to get him, he backed off.
 
 
At the end of our special day we headed out to get ice cream and Gavin said he wanted cake. This boy loves ice cream so I was a bit surprised that he chose a bundt cake.  We headed towards Nothing Bundt Cake and he was talking about the chocolate chip one he would pick.  We went inside and he placed his order and shouted, "Yummy, Thank you" and then told me "Ladies first Mom" as we were headed out the door.  I love this kid beyond explanation.  When we walked out the door he said, "Mom, I have a good idea.  I want to sit down right here and have a picnic with you."  We were no more that 5 steps out the door when we sat down on the concrete and proceeded to have a bundt cake picnic.  I have never been one to care what people think and time seems to be flying by these days, so without hesitation we both enjoyed each others company right there in front of the busy shopping center.  This was the PERFECT ending to a PERFECT day. 
 
 I love you Gavin Thomas Frazier! 
 
 

2 comments:

Darla DiStefano said...

Of course you know I had to investigate the fishermen. Turns out tilapia is an invasive fish and they don't care how or how many you catch! So they were right! What a great day y'all had! I miss those days! Time sure does fly! dangit!

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog