Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Three Year Old Check Up

Gavin had his 3 year old check up Monday and he was quite the character, like always.  He walked in the pediatrician's office with his hand covering his mouth shouting, "I don't want you to swab my throat" and if he said it once, he said it twenty more times.  Poor kid has had his share of strep throat and is far to familiar with the throat swabbing.  After the receptionist, nurse and Dr. all promised there would be no swabbing he finally settled down.


Gavin came in at a whopping 38.5" and 40 pounds, he is one healthy little boy.  Everything looked great and he passed his eye exam successfully.  They were unsure if he would be able to complete the eye exam and identify all of his shapes.  He was required to cover each eye and identify the following shapes (behind them I will list his responses) because I thought they were so brilliant.

Cup - My Daddy's coffee cup
Star- Twinkle little star
Heart - A Valentine
Circle -  A letter and a circle
Sailboat- Pirate ship
Ear- Ear to hear

There were several more shapes he had to identify, but these are the ones that stuck in my head.  I loved that he was able to elaborate and be so creative with his responses and the nurse was pretty impressed too.

Gavin did decide to "punch" his sister in the belly during his exam with the Dr. because she thought it would be a good idea to whisper in his ear, "you are getting shots today buddy".  I immediately corrected his behavior and asked him to tell Emma he was sorry.  He responded, "nope, she told me I am getting shots, that is not nice Momma".  So maybe the "punch" was deserved, but geez this boy didn't have to do it in front of the Dr.


We have really focused on potty training this Spring Break and it is going well.   Gavin's drawers are filled with boxer briefs and he is well on his way to eliminating diapers completely.  I have learned that for this process to be successful, we MUST stay home and if you know me at all you know I am not one for staying put too long and neither are my kiddos.  When we are at home Gavin is awesome about using the potty. 


Our strategy has been pretty simple.  Timer set for 30 minutes, gold chocolate coins and a smiley face on his sheet for the day.  So far, we have only had ONE sad face this Spring Break and that happened on the tile floor (better than the carpet or furniture, right?). Well, and maybe he got in the bathtub tonight and shouted, "I went tee tee in the bathtub Dad, for real".


Emma has been so encouraging and helpful with Gavin this week and is so PROUD of him when he goes to the potty.  She races to the pantry door to draw the happy face before I get to it.  I think it might have something to do with using a hi lighter, opposed to the normal washable marker she usually has in her hand.

You love to play with the toilet paper, rip it off the roll, tear it into little pieces and flush it down the commode.  Matter of fact you screamed for me to come to the bathroom today and you had torn little pieces up and put them all over your private area.  You were laughing hysterically and you said, "look Momma (pointed to your private area) I have feathers on it, just like the chickens at the Rodeo".  Yep, it really did look like feathers silly boy.

We are so PROUD of you Gavin and know that you are so proud of yourself every time you get another gold coin and happy face.  Keep up the good work and keep the feathers where they belong BIG BOY!

No comments: