Thursday, December 4, 2008

I locked her in the car!

Now that I have calmed down and the HOTY did not make me sleep in Emma's playhouse out back last night, I can share the story with you.

Yesterday I had to drive our car because the HOTY had to assist in picking up 60+ poinsettias that needed to be delivered to his clients and others for Christmas gifts. My BFF's daughter was selling these for a fundraiser at school, so the company agreed to buy them through her opposed to ordering other stuff this year. Great way to support our kids and our community. Of course we had to get a couple for our house too.

Needless to say, I went to pick the "Itty Bitty" up from her Mrs. Jenny (remember we can't call her a babysitter...she hates that). She insisted on playing with Daddy's key and had them in her hand all the way out to the car. I buckled her in and shut the door when I heard, CLICK! It was too late, she had punched the center button and locked herself in. I PANICKED! I tried every door handle before running up to Mrs. Jenny's door and banging on it. I just started screaming, Emma is locked in the car. I was ready to break the window out right then and there, not even concerned with how costly it might be. I did not care, I wanted my baby out of there.

A 911 phone call, 2 wrecker drivers, 2 Sheriffs, all the neighbors coming out to watch and 20 minutes later Emma was rescued from the car. I have never been so frightened in all of my Mommy life before.
I was so thankful that it was cool outside yesterday, that she was buckled safely in her car seat, and for the fast response of everyone involved. I felt horrible and could not stop crying about this. I was so terrified that the Police were not going to be understanding about this and I was going to get in some serious trouble.
At the end of the day, it all worked out and Emma remained very calm through the entire ordeal. I was so proud of her, but at the same time I just could not believe that this happened. Guess she will not be playing with our keys anymore, no matter how cute that little smile is when she is asking for them.

5 comments:

Lianna Knight said...

I am SURE you are not the only Mommy that has experienced that :( But, I'm glad to know Emma is safe and sound....

Katie said...

OH, I am always so worried about this happening to me. I almost always let Amelia play with the keys while I'm buckling her in and while I'm getting in myself. I'm so glad you told this story! I guess I never thought about her hitting the Lock button! I'm glad your Little One is fine! We all have had those scary mommy moments that make us feel guilty...Mommy guilt is THE WORST! Don't beat yourself up about it! :o) And now you are passing on your lesson...so Thanks!

MiMi said...

Oh, I know that must have been so frightening! I am so glad that it was a cool day, too, and that she was quickly rescued.

So thankful that everything turned out OK and no one was hurt!

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing before with the 18 month old little boy I was a nanny for. I was SO scared because it happened so fast but thankfully I was able to talk him into pushing the button again and the doors unloked! Everyone makes mistakes like this! Don't be too hard on yourself!

The Savvy Mama said...

Oh, I'm so glad everything was all right in the end! I think I would have acted the same way!

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet thoughts on our new baby girl. Hope your pregnancy is going well!