Friday, December 5, 2008

A Tradition & the Grinch!

One of our traditions in the Frazier household is everyone gets a Christmas ornament from the Hallmark store for the Christmas tree. Goes something like this...I buy the HOTY's, the HOTY buys mine and the HOTY & I buy the "Itty Bitty's". You got the picture?

We have kept the same theme or series each year, so I got this cute little guy again this year...

The Grinch!

Good thing I have a sense of humor and I don't suffer from low self esteem, right? Actually, I think it is hilarious. I am often referred to as the Grinch by my sweet husband at Christmas time. Yes ~ we like to joke, laugh, pick and play alot around our house so this actually fits both of our personalities perfectly. I even find him frequently asking me during the holidays... Are you going to wear your green sweater today?

I am not real sure the family knows what to think about it when they come over on Christmas day and ask what we got one another for Christmas. We don't usually buy each other gifts, so we always point out our ornaments on the tree. It is so funny when they see mine because it leaves them speechless, they don't know whether to laugh, comment or feel sorry for me as they are sporting their new piece of jewelry or designer handbag.

So, I am sure you are asking yourself...does she really act like the Grinch? The truth is Christmas is NOT my favorite time of year and I have to really focus on staying positive and not letting the Holidays get me down, here are just a few things I do not like about it:

  • suffering children in the world
  • people without jobs
  • knowing there will be some children who get NOTHING for Christmas
  • those who will never know the true meaning of Christmas
  • people are stressed out because they can not provide for their families
  • those without warm homes and the proper electricity
  • the homeless
  • parents who really want to get their kids something, but it is just not possible
  • people go into debt during the holidays
  • sick people
  • those who spend the holidays alone with no family
  • those who have experienced death and miss loved ones
  • the list goes on and on

The truth is, these things bother me all the time...but they seem to be a little more depressing to me this time of year. I am telling you, it makes me really sad.

The HOTY and I choose to do some things to try and make the Holiday Season a little better for others by adopting a child, donating food, paying someones light bill and other random things that hopefully help make someones day brighter. What will you do this Holiday Season to make a difference ? I challenge each of you to do something.

Please know that we have so much more than we deserve and yes, we are very thankful. I love the true meaning of Christmas, spending time with family, the decorations, Christmas cards, being off for 2 weeks, but the rest of it leaves my heart pretty darn sad!

4 comments:

Kara said...

found ur blog through Kellys Korner and just happened over here because we are due right around the same time.
Loved this post-really puts the holidays into perspective. It is easy to get caught up in all the craziness. Thanks for the little reminder :)

Hollye said...

I know what you mean. I get upset with myself every year because I stress myself out over the whole holiday thing. I honestly don't usually enjoy Christmas because of that. This year, the plant that Brian works for adopted two families and is providing Christmas for everyone in their family. Brian's department sponosored an 8 year old little girl. There was a long list of "staple" items they like to provide for each child...basically a whole winter wardrobe. Between all the people in Brian's department, this little girl will be getting a fair amount of clothing and toys. It really touched my heart when I saw that one person signed up for multiple items. I know that things are tight for a lot of people, us included, but there are so many people out there that have nothing and can not give their family anything for Christmas. I am thankful that we were able to do something for this little girl. I also have a ton of toys that I bought at Target when they had their big clearance this summer and that will all be donated to Toys for Tots.

MiMi said...

I can't imagine YOU ever acting like the Grinch! I love your Christmas ornament tradition and who doesn't love the Grinch, anyway!

amy (metz) walker said...

I completely understand your point of view....for me it magnifies how far my family is, this year I'm dealing with the job loss thing, and I just lot my grandfather, which is also a little tougher because of the time of year.

I just keep reminding myself to have joy that He's real, He loves me, and that He intimately cares about my life!